Westwood in 1904

January 8, 1904: 

The Royal Arcanum Council met Monday evening and initiated Harry Atter and Irving Cope. A live goat was introduced in the ceremony and the members had considerable fun at the expense of the new candidates. Following the initiation the newly elected officers were installed. 

D. L. Lockwood, Post Commander, installed the new officers of the Gabriel R. Paul Post, G. A. R. Monday evening. The officers who will serve for the year are: Commander, A. B. Bogert; Senior Vice-Commander, H. J. Haring; Junior Vice-Commander, Isaac Hopper; Chaplain, J. M. Bogert; Surgeon, J. Osborn; Quartermaster, D. J. Haring; Officer-of-the-Day, D. W. Smith; Officer-of-the-Guard, W. English; Inside Sentry, H. Heck; Outside Sentry, W. H. Rumsey; Delegate, D. L. Lockwood; Alternate, Isaac Hopper. 

The Westwood Athletic Club held its masque ball in Odd Fellows’ Hall Wednesday evening. There were many fancy and grotesque costumes seen, and the affair was considered a very successful one. 

Fire broke out in the new dwelling belonging to J. B. Wight, in Cross Street, Monday morning. The fire started from an overheated stove, which set fire to some boards. The prompt arrival of the fire department saved the building from serious damage. 

The thermometer in the village Tuesday morning registered twenty- seven degrees below zero and everybody shivered. But over in River Vale the mercury reached a much lower point. on the Abram C. Holdrum place, which is a government station, the self- registering thermometer sometime during the night reached thirty- four degrees below zero. 

January 22, 1904:

The thermometer at Abram Holdrum’s place registered seven degrees below zero Tuesday. 

The members of the Westwood Athletic Club are making preparations for a minstrel performance to be given in March. 

Owing to the crippled condition of the freight service on the railroad there is a scarcity of coal in the town. G. W. Brickell has only a few tons on hand and a large number of orders. A couple of carloads were shipped to the local merchant several days ago, and must have been caught somewhere in the mixup, having not yet been heard of. 

January 29, 1904:

A horse belonging to Councilman W. B. Cousins fell a few days ago, breaking its shoulder blade. The animal was killed Tuesday. 

Harry Humphrey, the New York cornetist, who has been confined at a local hotel for several weeks suffering from pneumonia, was removed to his home in the city the other day. 

Frederick Dietz slipped on the ice Monday night near the Wortke home, seriously injuring his knee. Mr. and Mrs Wortke, who were attracted by the man’s cry for help, carried him to his home. 

February 5, 1904: 

The thermometer in the village Tuesday morning registered two below zero. 

August Lott slipped from a stoop Sunday and seriously injured his wrist. 

Mrs. James Musson, Jr. entertained the Woman’s Club Thursday afternoon. 

While a party of seven young people were returning home from Ridgewood Thursday night they lost their way, and to add to their plight, the sleigh was upset. They escaped injury and returned home about 1 a.m. 

February 12, 1904: 

The residence of Anthony Geronimo, in Lafayette Avenue, was totally destroyed by fire early Friday morning. Mr. Geronimo himself discovered the fire on his arrival home from the city about one o’clock. Fire was burning fiercely in the cellar, and the flames were licking the beams of the first story when Mr. Geronimo rushed into the home and awakened his wife. After she was taken to a place of safety he hurried to the village and turned in an alarm. The Fire Company responded promptly, but the building was beyond control when they reached the scene of the fire. The firemen did effective work in preventing the flames from spreading to the adjoining buildings. The origin of the fire is supposed to have been due to an overheated furnace. 

Mrs. Benjamin Speth was hurled from a sleigh near the Hering place Thursday, sustaining slight injuries to her arm. 

February 19, 1904:

A valuable setter belonging to G. Houseman was poisoned this week 

The mercury in the village thermometer reached eight below zero on Tuesday. 

Mrs. Turrill had her right hand seriously burned in a fire which took place at her home Monday morning. In striking a match the head flew off, setting fire to a sofa. In extinguishing the blaze, Mrs. Turrill had her hand burned. 

Lincoln Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, was formed at Westwood last October. Later it moved its meeting place to Reeds’s Hall, Woodcliff. At its last meeting formal notice was received that the State Master required the Grange to go back to its original meeting place. Accordingly the members from the northern section are preparing to organize a new Grange, which will come into existence on the 18th of February. Lincoln Grange will be continued at Westwood. 

February 26, 1904: 

The sudden thaw Monday was responsible for the filling of a number of cellars with water. 

Certain citizens have complained because the cleaning of cesspools is permitted any hour of the day, and think the work should be done after ten o’clock at night. 

Engine 1527, the largest locomotive ever seen on the New Jersey & New York Railroad, went over the line Tuesday. At every stop residents hurried to the station to get a look at the engine. 

March 18, 1904: 

Borough Clerk Stagg has two of his fingers bandaged up as a result of an attempt to open a tin can. 

An entertainment will be given in Odd Fellows’ Hall this (Friday) evening for the benefit of the Free Library. 

Miss Edna Brickell, daughter of Mayor and Mrs. T. E. Brickell, was slightly injured in a collision between three carriages Sunday evening. A carriage belonging to Calvin Gardinier, of Hillsdale, and in charge of a colored man, was being driven along Railroad Avenue, while from the opposite direction came a buggy containing Miss Brickell and Edward Hopper, and close behind was Harry Hopper in another rig. Near the ice houses the three rigs collided. Miss Brickell and her escort were thrown from their rig, sustaining slight contusions. The occupants of the other rigs were also precipitated to the roadway, but escaped injury.

April 1, 1904:

An interesting horse trade took place on Railroad Avenue Tuesday morning between a son of Israel and a Christian residing in the Village of Eastwood. The casual observer could see nothing but protruding bones in the animals, but the traders saw virtues and excellent traits in each others’ horse. “Vill you try him” suggested the descendent of Israel, and the men then changed places, and the Eastwood trader climbing into the Jew’s wagon and the latter taking his seat. Both men touched the horses with the starting bar and the animals took hold of the bite like thoroughbreds and were off. They seemed to realize that a swap was on, for in the short distance they traveled they both turned their heads round to take a look at their new drivers and then straightened up and tried to look their prettiest. When the horses came to a stop both were panting and blowing, for the test was a severe one, covering little more than half a block. The bartering now began in earnest, and it was exactly one hour and thirty seven minutes before the trade was consummated. The Eastwood man received $10 to boot, and neither is yet certain who got the best of the deal. 

Huber’s hotel is undergoing extensive repairs. 

Miss Sarah Mahoney is now in charge of the telephone central station. 

April 8, 1904: 
The annual meeting of the Old Hook Cemetery Association was held Saturday afternoon. The Westwood Athletic Club has organized a baseball team with A. M. Blakeney as manager. The Odd Fellows held a meeting Tuesday night and made arrangements for a reception to be held on the 19th, when the “bundle of sticks” will be presented to the lodge by Closter. 


April 15, 1904: 

The number of stray dogs running at large has caused the residents along Westwood Avenue many sleepless nights. The citizens are now thoroughly aroused, and if a fusillade of shots should be heard after the midnight hour it will be known that some unfortunate canine has gone to the “happy hunting grounds.” 

The Democratic Club held its annual meeting in Haring’s Hall on Wednesday night, when the following officers were elected: President, Mayor T. E. Brickell; Vice-President, J. G. Terrill; Secretary, Warren Stagg; Treasurer, Charles Biers; Sergeant-at- Arms, Joseph Cooper. The reports read showed the club to be in excellent financial condition. A smoker, to be held next month is being arranged.

April 22, 1904:

A valuable dog belonging to C. Johnson, and which has been missing for several days, was found dead in Dr. Zabriskie’s swamp Monday, the animal having been poisoned. 

A special meeting of the Mayor and Council was held Monday night. It was an animated session, the discussion being upon the location of the proposed street lights, a contract having been made with the Gas & Electric Company, of Hackensack, for thirty two candle power lamps at $22.50 each per year. 

April 29, 1904: 

The roads of the borough are receiving a top dressing of stone. 

The pipe factory, which has been closed for several days owing to a scarcity of coal, resumed operations Monday. 

A whole lot of people are of the opinion that a system of sewage is more badly needed in this town than the extension of the macadam, for which an election is to be held May l0th, to vote an appropriation of $20,000. 

May 6, 1904: 

The Royal Arcanum Council initiated several new candidates Monday night, and to celebrate the event gave a smoker which was declared to be a crack-a-jack. It was announced that the program would consist of several bouts, and accordingly a large audience gathered. The principals were “Bert” Rawson and “Billy” Brill, and they were booked to give a scientific exhibition. When the bell rang the men went at each other and three lively rounds were fought, when a terrific noise was heard at the rear of the hall and “Ned” Rawson, in full police uniform and with a posse following him ran to the stage and placed everyone in the building under arrest. For a moment there was considerable excitement and many of the spectators tried to get out of the place. It was then announced that the raid was a “fake.” 

A horse belonging to George Collignon became fractious on Railroad Avenue Monday and succeeded in breaking his harness.

Mayor T. E. Brickell received a letter from William Jennings Bryan a few days ago requesting him to secure subscribers for the Commoner, the Colonel’s publication. As the Mayor is a good, staunch Democrat, there is little hope of Mr. Bryan’s subscription list being increased from this section.

May 13, 1904:

The Board of Health met Monday night and passed the cesspool ordinance. 

The Entre Nous will be entertained on the 24th by Mrs. C. E. Haring and Mrs. Harry Cornell. It will be the last sociable of the season. 

The special election which was held Tuesday to vote a $20,000 bond issue for macadam was carried by a vote of 109 for against 36 opposed. 

Ruth, the eleven year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James E. Ackerman, was attacked by a dog owned by Henry Heck Tuesday and was seriously bitten in the leg. The animal was promptly killed 

May 20, 1904:

Edward Greenip and Elmer Bogert returned home Saturday from a brief visit to the St. Louis Exposition. 

The Road Committee has instructed Engineer Hering to furnish the Council with the grades of the roads to be macadamized at the next meeting. 

Gabriel R. Paul Post, G. A. R. met Monday night and made final preparations for Decoration Day. Pascack, Valleau, Lutheran, Pearl River, Tappan, Closter, Dumont and Ridgewood cemeteries will be visited by detail. At 2:30 the entire Post will march to the Old Hook Cemetery, where the general service will be held. The Post has ordered 300 plants with which to decorate the graves of departed comrades.

May 27, 1904:

John J. Bate is making extensive improvements in his residence. 

A force of workmen are at work this week erecting poles for the electric lights. 

A movement is under way to organize a Brooklyn Society among the residents who are natives of that city.

June 10, 1904:

June 23 being Arcanum Day, the members of the local lodge are requested to display flags on that day. 

A couple of Fourth Avenue residents got in a mixup Friday, with the result that the one is carrying an eye with a deep mourning band beneath it, while the other is under $300 bond to appear before the Grand Jury. The troubles arose of the erection of a spite fence. 

There was a serious smashup on Railroad Avenue Saturday afternoon between an automobile driven by Adolph Barkerding, bookkeeper for Mittag & Volger of Park Ridge, and in which was his wife, and a wagon belonging to Councilman W. B. Cousins, and in charge of the latter’s daughter, Miss Alma, and her friend, Miss Florence Sutton. It appears that in attempting to pass between the Cousin rig and another wagon which was coming from the opposite direction that the vehicles collided. All four were thrown to the ground. Mr. and Mrs. Barkerding suffering severe contusions of the face and body. The Cousin rig was smashed, but the young ladies escaped with slight bruises.

June 17, 1904:

Today is commencement day and the hearts of the pupils of the public school are glad. This evening the exercises will be held in the school house, where the fond and loving parents of the graduates and their friends will gather to witness the excellent programme which has been arranged. There will be four graduates from the high school and thirteen from the grammar department. 

Former Mayor Isaac D. Bogert has invested in a new road horse. 

If you are a member of Westwood Council No. 1740, R.A. (Royal Arcanum) you will surely have Old Glory floating from your home on June 23rd to celebrate the birthday of the order. 

W. F. Rutan, who was knocked down and injured by a car in New York several weeks ago and has since been confined in St. Vincent’s Hospital, was brought home last week.

June 24, 1904:

A resident residing in Centre Street, who has recently lost a number of small chickens, is now daily practicing with a rifle.

July 1, 1904:

D. P. Powers has invested in a handsome automobile. 

It is reported that the new street lights will be turned on this Friday evening. 

I. D. Bogert and George Collignon are spending a few days at Greenwood Lake this week. 

Irving Brickell and Walter Musson are making preparations to visit the St. Louis Exposition this month. 

July 15, 1904: 

W. B. Cousins brought suit against A. Barkerding, bookkeeper for Mittag & Volger, Thursday, to recover damages as a result of the recent automobile smashup in Railroad Avenue. The plaintiff placed the amount of damages at $50, and that case was tried before Justice Turrell and a jury. On June 11, while Miss Alma Cousins, daughter of the plaintiff, was driving along Railroad Avenue, her rig was ran into by the defendant, who was driving his automobile in the opposite direction. Miss Cousins and a companion were thrown to the roadway and the rig was considerably damaged. The jury awarded the plaintiff $25 damages, which the defendant immediately paid.

July 29, 1904:

Electric lights are being installed in the Baptist church. 

The firemen will hold a carnival on Railroad Avenue beginning tomorrow (Saturday) and continuing for a week. 

St. Andrew’s church has secured a plot of ground at the corner of Fourth and Washington avenues upon which it is proposed to move the edifice from its present location.

August 5, 1904:

Electric lights went out of business with the storm Monday. 

Royal Arcanum will have an outing to Piermont on the 20th. 

Notwithstanding the heavy rains recently, George Collignon was obliged to close down his mill Monday because of an insufficient water supply.

August 26, 1904:

The mayor’s neighbors are hoping he will have rubber heels on his new horse’s shoes, so he won’t keep them awake when trying to kick out the side of the barn.

September 9, 1904:

The Rev. D. M. Talmage, pastor of the Reformed church was seriously injured in a bicycle accident Tuesday. The clergyman was descending the Paramus hill when he lost control of his wheel and was precipitated into the ditch at the side of the road and rendered unconscious. He was picked up by a passing carriage and hurried to his home, where Dr. Townsend attended him. He suffered severe contusions of the head and body, but fortunately no bones were broken. 

An all day shoot was held here Labor Day under the auspices of the Westwood Gun Club.

September 16, 1904:

The fair for the benefit of Temple Lodge which was in progress at Odd Fellows’ Hall for the past week, closed Saturday. The attendance was very large each evening. 

A reunion of the Twenty-second Regiment will be held at Keyport Thursday. 

October 21, 1904:

A horse belonging to Isaac D. Bogert and attached to a delivery wagon ran away from the front of the Bate residence Thursday while the driver was temporarily absent. The wagon collided a short distance away and was wrecked. 

October 28, 1904:

A party of young ladies enjoyed a pleasant straw ride Monday night. 

Former Mayor Isaac D. Bogert and Isaac Cole of Hackensack spent a day at Greenwood Lake last week and returned with forty fine pickerel. 

While George Collignon was driving to Closter Saturday night and just as he was descending a steep grade, one of the reins suddenly broke. In the carriage with Mr. Collignon was his wife and child. Fortunately, the horse was a gentle animal and Mr. Collignon was able to guide him safely to the foot of the hill. 

November 11, 1904:

The Italians employed on the roads went on a strike Monday because the contractor reduced the working time from 10 to 9 hours. 

November 25, 1904:

Councilman Rumsey won a wager from Mayor T. E. Brickell Tuesday. The Councilman bet that he could make a hen lie quietly on the floor and the Mayor took him up. A chicken was produced and the Councilman laid the hen on the floor holding it down with one hand, while with the other he drew a chalk mark in front of it. He then released his hold and stepped several feet away. The chicken lay motionless for several minutes and did not move until he carried it out into the street. The Mayor paid the bet, but says the Councilman has hypnotic powers. 

December 2, 1904:

The Road Committee met Saturday night and awarded the contract for the construction of Second Avenue to Anthony Flene at sixteen cents a cubic yard, the contractor to retain all the earth excavated. Half of the cost of the improvement is to be borne by I. D. Bogert. 

While Benjamin Shoart of Eastwood was driving along Westwood Avenue Saturday evening with his son-in-law, a Mr. Van Roden, of Englewood, their horse became unmanageable and ran away. The rig collided with a passing lumber wagon and was upset. The shafts became separated from the rig, and the horse dragging them after him, continued on its road flight. The occupants escaped with a few scratches. The horse was captured a short distance down the road. 

December 9, 1904:

The reception given by the Royal Arcanum Council at Odd Fellows’ Hall Friday night was one of the most successful affairs given by the lodge. A pleasant feature not on the programme was a cake walk in which all the guests took part. It was won by J. Van Brunt and Mrs. Harvey Mitchell.

December 16, 1904: 

About eight persons enjoyed the hospitality of the Entre Nous Tuesday night. The affair was given in the form of a sheet and pillow case party, and Odd Fellows’ Hall was the scene of the festivities. A peep into the hall at 8:30 o’clock would have found all the “goasts” bually engaged in a game of progressive euchre, and the muffled laughter of the holders of good hands could be heard as they pulled in the “tricks.” The game lasted until 10:15 o’clock, when the bell sounded and the masks were removed. Dancing was then indulged in, and at midnight refreshments were served. At one o’clock the reception was at an end and the guests reluctantly departed for their homes. “It really was the social event of the season,” said one enthusiastic young lady in speaking of the affair. “Everyone had a delightful time. Some of the guests looked indeed ludicrous in their makeup of sheets and pillow cases, especially the gentlemen, and it was impossible to tell with whom you were playing cards.” 

The self registering thermometer at the government station on the farm of Abram Holdrum recorded 10 degrees below zero sometime during Tuesday night.

December 23, 1904:

A ball will be given at Lachmund Hotel January 2nd. 

A party of young ladies enjoyed a sleigh ride to the county seat Monday night. 

December 30, 1904:

There was prize bowling at the local alleys Monday night. E. P. Voorhis carried off first prize, a $5 gold piece, his score being 49. For the second and third prizes Frederick Bomm, Edward Greenin and N. Borden tied, each rolling 48. 

The members of St. Andrew’s church are now contemplating the erection of a new edifice in town, instead of removing the present building. If the action is approved, another fair for the benefit of the building fund will be held in the spring.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *